Thanksgiving is always one of my favourite days of the year. For me, it’s the perfect excuse to fill your home with the people you love and spend the day eating good, comfort food – like these vegan Shami Kebabs! This year, Thanksgiving will look so very different from what we’re actually used to. But nonetheless, I’m still looking forward to feeding my tiny family a delicious meal.
Last year, we had all our family over and I cooked a lavish spread to celebrate our Indian-style Thanksgiving. If you’d like to know what I cooked and served, I wrote it all up in a blog post, so you can read all about it here.
Because it’ll only be just the three of us at the dinner table this year, I’ve planned a simple yet decadent meal – consisting of course, of one of our favourite types of kebabs – Shami Kebabs, which not only happen to be vegetarian but vegan as well! These little kebabs have a perfectly crispy exterior and just melt-in-your-mouth as you begin to eat them. I love making them slightly smaller in size so that they’re easy enough to pick up and relished in a couple of bites.
Along with the Shami Kebabs, I’ll be making my Instant Pot Chicken Pulao (which honestly, is a super quick and easy recipe to a short-cut Biryani!), Achari Gosht and a large chopped salad on the side. For dessert, we’ll dig into some decadent Dark Chocolate Pecan Brownies with a scoop of icecream.
And we’ll end our evening cosied up on the couch, huddled together, catching up on our latest obsession – KDramas! Tell me, how many of you are hooked to KDramas? We started watching them earlier this year and just can’t get enough – so much so, that I think I may have learnt a new language!
Vegan Shami Kebabs (Kala Chana Kebabs)
- 1 cup dried brown chickpeas soaked overnight, drained and boiled till tender
- 1 medium-sized potato boiled till tender and peeled
- 1 medium-sized onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour also known as besan
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- oil for frying
- Add brown chickpeas and potato into a large bowl and mash well.
- Mix all the rest of the ingredients, except the oil, into the bowl to incorporate well with the mashed chickpeas and potato. You can set it aside for 15-20 minutes to intensify the flavours.
- Divide the mix into 20-24 equal portions and form into patties.
- Heat enough oil to coat a wide non-stick pan, and shallow fry the patties for 2-3 minutes on each side till crisp.
- Serve hot with a side of Cilantro-Mint Chutney.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you will surely like my Chicken Kebabs and Sukhe Kale Chane recipe as well.
Tried this recipe? Leave a Comment and let me know, also Rate it by clicking the number of stars on the recipe card. Want to share your version with me? Tag me on Instagram @hookedonheat
Alonna Smith says
I love your website and the sweet window into your Thanksgiving plans. I am going to be looking up the recipes you will be cooking. I hope you have a lovely time in this weird holiday season!