This Sweet Potato and Chicken Thai Coconut Curry definitely is one of those dishes that hardly takes any effort at all, and yet, ends up surprising you in the best way possible. Since it's a curry, it's perfect to cook in large amounts and feed a crowd. It also gets even better the next day if you can believe that, and that alone, is reason enough to try it out. After all, what's better that having leftovers that taste even more delicious than when it was first served!
I whipped up this Thai Coconut Curry on a whim one evening when I had to come up with a recipe highlighting sweet potatoes that I needed to demonstrate for an upcoming cooking class. I began the second half of last year teaching 'What's for Dinner' classes at a few locations of the PC Cooking School. These classes usually last for about an hour and has me demonstrating a couple of recipes quick and simple enough to pull off on a busy weeknight. I love the vibe of these classes and miss doing them terribly at the moment.
I always try to come up with 2-3 recipes that would work great by themselves, as well as, in perfect harmony with each other. Most often than not, it's usually one main and a side dish to compliment it. I love picking and planning out the menu and am mostly inspired by what's currently in season. For the most part, I get to decide what recipes I want to demonstrate in a particular class, except for a couple of times where I'm requested to show recipes highlighting particular ingredients. Like the time I was asked to showcase the humble sweet potato.
When I think of sweet potatoes, I usually don't stir too far away from roasting or steaming them. These are, of course, the best ways I enjoy eating them and never found a need to explore any further. But when you need to introduce a few eager cooks to new-to-them recipes, the plot thickens - then it's game on! I created this Sweet Potato & Chicken Coconut Curry for dinner the night before I had to hand in my detailed recipes for an upcoming class on sweet potatoes.
It was an idea I was toying with for some time and was happy to see it being received so well at home. Hubby Dear declared it needed to be added to our roster of regular meals and Little Dude, well, he just tried his best to convince me not to share the recipe with anyone! He normally does that for dishes he absolutely loves - like Egg Sambal and Fried Tofu with Peanut Sauce, and most recently, these Banana Pancake Balls.
I demonstrated this recipe in my class the next week, and am happy to note that everyone there loved it.
Sweet Potato & Chicken Thai Coconut Curry
- 2 tablespoon light cooking oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups small cubed sweet potato
- 2 chicken breasts chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 1 can coconut milk 400 ml
- 2 cups roughly chopped bok choy
- 1 red pepper sliced
- salt to taste
- squeeze of fresh lime
- fresh cilantro leaves or Thai basil leaves for garnish
- Heat oil in a deep heavy-bottomed pot and add in the minced garlic. Once the garlic starts to sizzle, add in chopped sweet potatoes and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes till it starts to get lightly brown along the edges.
- Add in chicken pieces and curry paste, and stir-fry for another minute or two.
- Stir in coconut milk and let it cook covered on medium-low heat for 5-6 minutes till the chicken and sweet potatoes have cooked through.
- Add in bok choy and red peppers, season with salt and let it cook for another couple of minutes.
- Squeeze some fresh lime juice and garnish with fresh cilantro leaves. Serve warm over steamed rice.
Tried this recipe? Leave a Comment and let me know, also Rate it by clicking the number of stars on the recipe card. Want to share your version with me? Tag me on Instagram @hookedonheat