This recipe for Potato & Chickpeas Rice was created in partnership with Hamilton Beach Canada, as one of their brand ambassadors. All opinions, as always, are my own. I only write about and recommend products I use and love myself.
I often find that when thinking up dinner ideas, I tend to gravitate a lot more towards rice dishes, like this Potato & Chickpeas Rice. Maybe its the quick comfort that comes from a big bowl of rice, or the fact that I’d rather eat raw wheat than knead and mould it into rotis, waiting for them to puff over a burning stove! So it comes as no surprise that I find myself cooking more varieties of rice-based dishes multiple times a week.
There’s an unsaid rule when it comes to cooking rice, that’s followed in many kitchens throughout Asia – when cooking rice, NEVER cook just enough! You always make sure there’s plenty left over. And I completely agree – rice is just great to use as leftovers. It freezes perfectly, can easily be revamped into an amazingly tasty dish in a matter of minutes, and not to mention, tastes divine when simply warmed up and served alongside a fried egg and some Indian pickle!
Often, I make a big batch of plain rice over the weekend and spruce it up during the week. Of the many variations I make from (purposely) left-over rice, some of my all-time easy-breezy favourites can be seen here, here and here, all quick, simple and delicious dinner ideas.
When I decided to make dinner last night, I knew I would once again be cooking what else, but rice. So I settled for a recipe that was simple and so delicious – Pulao or as some call it, Pilaf. Pulao is very common in North Indian cuisine and is often served as a side to exotic curries and salads. This Potato & Chickpeas Rice is a family favourite. I served mine simply with a big bowl of mixed veggie Raita and some Papad.
Potato and Chickpeas Rice
- 2 tbsp light cooking oil
- 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- salt to taste
- 1 medium tomato finely chopped
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed thoroughly and drained
- 2 cups Basmati rice rinsed thoroughly and drained
- 4 cups water
- a handful of fresh cilantro leaves chopped for garnish
- Set the rice cooker function in Saute mode. Heat oil and saute cumin seeds, garlic and onions till tender and fragrant. Add in spices and salt, and fry for a few seconds.
- Add in tomatoes and stir-fry for a minute before adding in the chickpeas. Mix well to coat the chickpeas with the spices.
- Add in the rice and water, and give it a quick stir to mix everything well.
- Close the lid of the rice cooker and set it to White Rice mode. Once the rice is done, gently fluff it with a fork and garnish with fresh cilantro leaves. Serve warm.
Tried this recipe? Leave a Comment and let me know, also Rate it by clicking the number of stars on the recipe card. Want to share your version with me? Tag me on Instagram @hookedonheat