This Keema Pulao recipe is what I often fall back on when I need a quick, nutritious and tasty meal that the whole family will enjoy. Serve it with some Raita or a Salad on the side.
This recipe for Keema Pulao (Ground Meat & Peas Pilaf) was sponsored by Veal Farmers of Ontario. All opinions, as always, are my own. I only write about and recommend products I use and love myself.
Winter has always been one of my most favourite times of the year. The fresh snowfall, a burning fireplace, sipping on warm hot chocolate and reading a book all cosied up under a warm blanket – what’s not to love! And then the food. All the glorious, delicious comfort foods. And if it just so happens to be a one-pot meal like this Keema Pulao, then what could be better?
I love making a one-pot meal that combines my protein, grains and veggies on busy weeknights. These kind of recipes are often quick to put together and use up anything you have lying in your fridge or pantry. Pulaos are rice-based dishes wherein, any kinds of meat, beans or veggies are usually added. This simple recipe for Keema Pulao uses ground veal and frozen green peas, but really, pretty much any other vegetables could be added in as well.
Ontario veal is delicious and tender with a subtle character that tends to take on the flavours it is cooked with. Veal is an excellent source of iron, zinc and Vitamin B12 which are essential for overall good health including physical and mental performance, infection resistance and proper growth respectively. Ontario veal is produced with pride and care by local farm families. Ontariovealappeal.ca is a great source of recipes, nutrition information, cooking tips, cut guides and production information.
Keema Pulao (Ground Meat & Peas Pilaf)
- 2 tablespoon light cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4-5 green cardamom pods
- 1 medium-sized onion finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ lb ground veal
- ½ cup frozen green peas thawed
- 2 cups Basmati rice washed and drained thoroughly
- 3 and ½ cups water
- a handful of fresh cilantro leaves finely chopped for garnish
- Heat oil in a wide non-stick pan and add in cumin seeds, cinnamon stick and cardamom pods. Once they start to sizzle, add in onions and fry till lightly browned.
- Add in the spices, salt and tomato paste, and fry for a few seconds to mix well.
- Mix in the ground meat and cook for 5-6 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally so that the meat blends well with the spices.
- Slowly add in the peas, rice and water, give it a quick stir, and cook covered on medium-low heat till all the water evaporates.
- Once the rice has cooked, gently fluff it out with a fork and garnish with fresh cilantro leaves. Serve warm.
Tried this recipe? Leave a Comment and let me know, also Rate it by clicking the number of stars on the recipe card. Want to share your version with me? Tag me on Instagram @hookedonheat