This Masala Chicken Palak recipe is perfect for a weekend meal when you have the time and mood to putter about in the kitchen with nothing much else to tug at your attention.
A few weekends ago, I found myself alone at home with Baby Dear and a potluck invitation waiting for a response. Hubby Dear was away on a longer than usual business trip, and I was at my wit’s end trying to entertain an energizer-bunny of a 6-year old. I’ve always considered myself an introvert and going to a party without my better half to meet new people is not really my cup of tea. But I was desperate. And so was Baby Dear. We each needed to get out and about – and interacting with someone other than each other seemed like a welcome option. So I immediately texted a YES to the invite and decided that my Masala Chicken Palak would be the perfect contribution to the party.
When given an option, I always like to volunteer to bring an appetiser. It’s the perfect chance to get creative and think out of the box. and bite-sized finger foods are usually my preferred way to enjoy a meal. But not this time. I had all the time I needed and an experimental mood to boot. I wanted to walk in with a dish that would wow everyone, as well as something that would warm us up from the inside – something like a soft warm blanket on a cold winter’s day!
This Masala Chicken Palak recipe tastes even better the next day since the spices and flavour and enough time to penetrate and mingle through. Because of this, I love to serve this dish at dinner parties when I know I can cook it in my Dutch Oven either the previous night or early that morning. This recipe is fairly simple and a treat to eat.
Masala Chicken Palak (Sauteed Chicken with Spinach)
- 2 tbsp light cooking oil
- 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 1- inch stick of cinnamon
- 3-4 green cardamom pods
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 large tomato finely chopped
- 6-8 chicken drumsticks
- 500 gms fresh spinach finely chopped
- salt to taste
- water as needed
- handful of fresh cilantro finely chopped for garnish
- Heat oil in a deep non-stick pan and add in cumin seeds, cinnamon stick and cardamom pods. Once they start to sizzle, add in the onions and ginger-garlic pastes and fry till fragrant and lightly browned. Add in the spices and tomato paste, and fry for a few seconds. Stir in the chopped tomato and cook till it begins to soften.
- Slowly add in the chicken, stir well to coat it with the spice mix, and let it cook covered for a couple of minutes. Slowly mix in the chopped spinach and cook covered on low heat for 4-5 minutes till it starts to wilt and the chicken is cooked through.
- Season with salt and cook for another 4-5 minutes, adding in some water if you’d like a thinner consistency. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro and serve warm.
If you like this recipe, you will surely like my Saag Chicken.
Tried this recipe? Leave a Comment and let me know, also Rate it by clicking the number of stars on the recipe card. Want to share your version with me? Tag me on Instagram @hookedonheat