I always have a bag of frozen shrimp in my freezer and fresh pineapple in my fridge, so making this Shrimp and Pineapple Curry is a no-brainer. If you find it hard to get good quality fresh pineapple where you are, then canned pineapple in its own juice works well in this recipe – just make sure to drain the juice before use.
I recently had a long chat with a friend who confessed to me that she absolutely dreaded the hour before dinnertime. She hates cooking, and the mere thought of “What’s for dinner tonight?” can really drive her up the wall. What she faces every day is nothing new to most of us. Me included! I’ve been known to stare into the fridge, almost willing it to pop out a completely tasty, well-balanced meal straight onto my dining table – like this Shrimp and Pineapple Curry.
Although I love the idea of weekly meal planning, I’ve never been one to follow through with it on a regular basis. I know its advantages and have sincerely tried to keep up with it many times, but unless and until I hit the stores and check out the fresh produce they have to offer that week, I don’t feel quite motivated. I love seeing the freshness of the bright coloured fruits and veggies, checking out the cheese display and rummaging through the aisles for new spices and flavourings. All this – the dedication and time I put into grocery shopping each week, is what inspires me and helps me be creative in my kitchen.
As much as I love to play around with the ingredients I have to create a wonderful meal, there are many nights where all I want is something no-fuss, quick and healthy, and call it a night! It’s for nights like these that I save some of my go-to family favourite recipes, like this Shrimp and Pineapple Curry, that come together in a snap and satisfy our hungry tummies. Most of these recipes are either one-pot meals or a mish-mash of some protein and veggies that can be easily served with rice/rotis/bread to complete the meal. Add a side salad, and you’re good to go!
Today’s recipe is one that perfectly fits the bill. In fact, it’s going to be dinner for Baby Dude and me tonight. Hubby Dear has dinner plans at work and I’m knee deep in deadlines (exciting news coming soon!), so dinner needs to be quick.
Shrimp and Pineapple Curry
- 1 tbsp light cooking oil
- 1 tbsp finely minced garlic
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 15-20 medium-sized shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 400 ml can of coconut milk
- 2 cups chopped pineapple
- salt to taste
- squeeze of fresh lime for garnish
- handful of finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- Heat oil in a deep pan and add in garlic and onions. Once they start to sizzle and become fragrant, add in the Thai curry paste.
- Give it a quick stir to mix well and then add in the shrimp. Stir fry the shrimp with the onions and curry paste for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the coconut milk and chopped pineapple, and let it come to a boil. Season with salt and stir to combine.
- Garnish with fresh lime juice and chopped fresh cilantro and serve warm over steamed rice.
Tried this recipe? Leave a Comment and let me know, also Rate it by clicking the number of stars on the recipe card. Want to share your version with me? Tag me on Instagram @hookedonheat