It had come to my notice a few days ago, when I was strongly craving this Coconut Curry Noodle Soup, that I was spending a lot more time cooking than actually eating. This is not to say that I have been burdening myself with tedious and slow-cooking meals. In fact, it was quite the contrary. While my meals have been loaded with quick and simple salads, soups and the occasional sandwich, it seemed strange to me that I was eating in less than half the time I took to prepare the meal at hand.
I have recently begun to have lunch at my desk if only to try and get as much work done as I possibly could cram into my day. With my food sitting on my right and my laptop on the left, it’s almost impossible for me to sit back and actually take a moment to even look at my plate, let alone enjoy it. Something as delicious as this Coconut Curry Noodle Soup certainly did not deserve to be treated that way!
So I decided to set aside my laptop and notebook, sit at the table in my clean kitchen with the warm sunlight gleaming in, and listen to some calming music while I watched people walk their dogs outside. In a little less than an hour, I realized I had polished my plate, relishing every bite and enjoying what I ate. I tried doing the same the next day. And the day after. And the day after that. It’s been more than a week since, and my lunches - like this Coconut Curry Noodle Soup, though take hardly any time to cook, seem to take a whole hour to be eaten. And not to mention, enjoyed!
Coconut Curry Noodle Soup
- 1 tablespoon light cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon curry paste (red or yellow)
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup boneless chicken/tofu cubed
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3 cups chicken/vegetable stock
- 1 stalk lemongrass bruised and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 lb noodles of choice
- 2 cups chopped bok choy
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- finely chopped chillies for garnish
- lemon wedges for garnish
- Heat oil in a deep pan, and sauté garlic and curry paste till fragrant. Add in onions and chicken/tofu, and saute till lightly browned.
- Add in coconut milk, stock and lemongrass, and let it come to a boil on low heat.
- Add in mushrooms and noodles, and cook covered till noodles are tender and done. Stir in bok choy, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, add garnish with coriander leaves, chillies and a dash of lemon juice. Ladle in large bowls and serve piping hot.
This post was originally published in March 2008 and has been recently updated.
If you enjoyed this recipe, then you will surely love my Thai Curry Noodle Soup with Tofu & Veggies recipe as well.
Tried this recipe? Leave a Comment and let me know, also Rate it by clicking the number of stars on the recipe card. Want to share your version with me? Tag me on Instagram @hookedonheat