These mini Apple Pie Tarts are perfect for a Sunday morning. They don't take too long and I even had some filling leftover to top my oatmeal the next morning.
Little Dude, like me, has a prominent sweet tooth. We're not ones for ice-cream and mithai, but give us a glimpse of a fresh-baked slice of cake, or any kind of baked good for that matter, and we're game! For the past few years now, he's been smitten by Apple Pie. And let me tell you, the kid is not biased. Be it a dome-high one baked with tons of butter by a loving grandma, or one packed in an ugly white cardboard box from the grocery store, or even the handheld ones in tiny green boxes that you get at McDonald's, he enjoys them all! As long as there's apple baked in with a bit of sugar and a dash of cinnamon, he'll eat it.
I have always been one to openly admit that I'm not a baker. As much as I love and can happily survive on a steady diet of cakes, sweet treats and pillow-soft bread, I do not enjoy making them on my own. And yet, over the years, I've found myself try my hand at and even succeed in creating a few treats that have now become my go-tos.
This past weekend, which also happened to be Mother's Day, I woke up with a strong desire to create something that would slightly in some way, resemble an Apple Pie. I knew I didn't want to spend a whole lot of time in the kitchen. I knew I wanted something quick and easy to repeat again another time when I felt like it. And I knew I wanted to use the frozen mini tart shells that were sitting in my freezer since the dawn of time. If you asked me a few years ago if I ever saw myself baking Apple Pie Tarts for my family on a Sunday morning, I'd laugh and go back to bed. Little did I know!
If I can offer up some words of wisdom, I'd suggest making the filling in advance. When you're ready to enjoy your Apple Pie Tarts, simply stuff the tart shells and bake them - and you'll have them ready to devour in no time. I'll definitely be making these more often and can't wait to try them out at my next dinner party... whenever that may be!
Apple Pie Tarts
- 4 large apples of your choice (I used Gala apples) peeled and finely chopped
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 24 pre-made mini tart shells
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook chopped apples, sugar and water in a pan on medium heat till the apples soften and the water starts to evaporate. Stir occasionally to mix well. This may take 12-15 minutes depending on the kind of apples you use.
- Stir in corn starch till it is mixed well with the apple filling. Add in cinnamon and mix well again.
- Fill each tart shell with the apple filling and bake for 10-15 minutes till the tarts have been cooked through.
Tried this recipe? Leave a Comment and let me know, also Rate it by clicking the number of stars on the recipe card. Want to share your version with me? Tag me on Instagram @hookedonheat