This recipe for Tomato Pulao was created in partnership with KFC Canada. All opinions, as always, are my own. I only write about and recommend products I use and love myself.
When it comes to cooking a fulfilling dinner on any weeknight, my keyword, or should I say keywords, are QUICK and SIMPLE - just like this Tomato Pulao! I have often blogged on how much I love easy recipes that hardly take much time and effort and yet seem to please our over-demanding palates. Truly, coming home at five in the evening after a long and tiring day doesn’t leave me even in the slightest mood to cook anything. But eat we must and that’s where I make use of my instincts. A little bit of this, a splash of that, and dinner is on the table!
Sometimes, you just want to get away from the hoohaas and settle down with something simple and wholesome - like this Tomato Pulao. Most Fridays, our meals have comprised of anything and everything from being fancy to exotic. But today, I just felt like taking things easy. With the thick blanket of snow outside, I just wanted to cuddle on my couch, watch a good movie and have a simple and satisfying meal. And there’s nothing simpler I can think of than a big bowl of warm flavoured rice, with a side of some delicious crispy chicken! So I texted Hubby Dear to pick up a bucket of our favourite fried chicken from the nearest KFC outlet on his way home and I got to work in my kitchen. Knowing that KFC chicken is real, Canadian, farm-raised chicken, made me feel good about serving it at my dinner table.
This Tomato Pulao took our fried chicken dinner to a whole new level.
It hardly takes any time and effort, but yet still feels like a meal fit for royalty. Throw in a fresh side salad, and you have a quick, wholesome and not to mention, a finger-lickin' good Friday night meal.
- 2 tablespoon light cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4-5 whole black peppercorns
- 2-3 fat cloves of garlic bruised
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 2 cups Basmati rice rinsed thoroughly and drained
- 4 cups water
- salt to taste
- handful of fresh cilantro finely chopped for garnish
- Heat oil in a deep pan on medium-low heat and add in cumin seeds and peppercorns. Once they start to sizzle and become fragrant, add in garlic and onions, and fry for a few seconds till lightly browned. Be careful not to let it burn.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes, and fry for a minute before adding in the rice. Stir fry the rice for a few seconds so that the grains get lightly toasted and flavourful. Add in water and salt, and once it starts to come to a slight boil, lower the heat slightly.
- Let the rice cook on low heat, covered, till all the water evaporates and the rice is cooked through.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve warm.
If you like this recipe, you will surely like my Peas Pulao.
Tried this recipe? Leave a Comment and let me know, also Rate it by clicking the number of stars on the recipe card. Want to share your version with me? Tag me on Instagram @hookedonheat