Let me start by saying that I love receiving your comments, emails. and recipe requests - like this Potato & Lamb Curry. Although I try to respond to them as frequently as I can, many do manage to slip through the cracks - and for that, I apologize. However, even though I may not reply to some of your comments, requests or suggestions, you can be assured that I do take each and every one of them into consideration. Well, almost all of them.
Of all the legitimate requests I get for recipes, Potato & Lamb Curry has to be one that most frequently occurs. But not just any lamb curry, many of you want to know how to make this rich and creamy restaurant classic a tad bit healthier, simpler and quick enough for a regular weeknight meal. Well, my friends, I hear ya! This may come as a surprise, but I'm not a fan of restaurant lamb curries myself.
I find most restaurant versions too bland and not to mention, oily for my taste. So when a craving of something rich and sinful hits me, I head to my kitchen instead of the Punjabi take-out next door. I created this recipe on one such day when I was desperate to find something to feed my need. I wouldn't call this a classic Lamb and Potato Curry recipe, but it does come fairly close to feeling rich and creamy, without the added dose of extra fat. On days when I'm feeling extra healthy, I also throw in a bunch of chopped spinach for some added green. Blasphemy yes, delicious - you bet!
POTATO & LAMB CURRY
- 3 tablespoon light cooking oil
- 4-5 whole cloves
- 4-5 whole cardamoms
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 lb lamb pieces, bone-in
- water, as needed
- salt, to taste
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- Sauté whole spices with cumin seeds and onions in hot oil till lightly browned. Add in tomatoes, ginger-garlic paste, and spices, and cook for a couple of minutes till tomatoes soften and pulp.
- Add in lamb, water and salt, and cook covered for about 40 minutes. Add in potatoes, and cook covered for another 20 minutes till lamb is tender and potatoes are cooked through.
If you like this recipe, you will surely like my Spiced Lamb with Green Peppers.
Tried this recipe? Leave a Comment and let me know, also Rate it by clicking the number of stars on the recipe card. Want to share your version with me? Tag me on Instagram @hookedonheat