Aloo Tamatar Sabzi literally translates to Potato and Tomato Stir-fry. In most Indian households, the availability of onions, tomatoes and potatoes, along with the most basic of spices cannot be missed. And just with these three, you can create a pretty hearty meal to feed the whole family.
Good food is nice. Delicious exotic food is even better. But when you've overfed yourself with a variety of scrumptiously rich delicacies, the mind begins to move to a more subtle and simple option - like this quick and easy Aloo Tamatar Sabzi recipe. The past few days saw us gorging on the best of Indian festive delicacies, and what with Diwali just around the corner, this trend is sure to continue for the next few days as well.
Yesterday, as I hurried into the kitchen to prep for dinner, my palate began to repulse at the slightest thought of anything even remotely extravagant. What I craved was a simple, yet hearty meal of Dal-Chawal-Sabzi - and Aloo Tamatar Sabzi definitely topped my list.
In most North Indian households, the availability of the three basics - onions, tomatoes and potatoes, along with the most basic of spices cannot be missed. Truly, just with these three, one can can create a pretty hearty meal to feed the whole family. And the choices are never limited. By altering and changing the flavourings and spices, a variety of dishes can be concocted from these basics.
So it's no surprise that when I look for simplicity, I undoubtedly turn to the basics.
Aloo Tamatar Sabzi
- 2 tablespoon light cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon amchoor powder
- salt to taste
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 4 medium potatoes boiled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and saute cumin seeds till they start to sizzle. Add in onions and garlic, and fry till lightly brown.
- Stir in spices and salt, and saute for a few seconds before adding in the tomatoes. Mix well.
- Once the tomatoes start to soften, add in the cubed potatoes and mix to combine well with the spices. Let it cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally in between.
- Garnish with chopped green onion and serve warm.
This post was originally published in October 2006 and has been recently updated.
Tried this recipe? Leave a Comment and let me know, also Rate it by clicking the number of stars on the recipe card. Want to share your version with me? Tag me on Instagram @hookedonheat