This Quick & Easy Coconut Fish Curry is simple and quick, with only a handful of ingredients. And if that's not good enough, it's all made in one pot. Now, what could be better than a one-pot meal!
One area where I always seem to excel as someone who could have organization as their middle name, would be in making sure my fridge, freezer and pantry are always well-stocked - just what I need to make this Coconut Fish Curry at the drop of a hat! This might surely have something to do with the fact that I may be a compulsive list maker. Yes, I love making lists. In fact, I make so many lists within the span of one day that I sometimes even have to make a list of the lists I've made. Confusing? Tell me about it!
Although I am not always successful in crossing out everything on my day's schedule, my grocery list is one that can be easily counted on. I always have a freezer stocked with a few pounds of chicken, a huge bag of fries and a couple of packets of frozen veggies. My fridge never runs out of eggs, bread and milk, and not to mention the staples like veggies and fruits. And my pantry - oh what can I tell you about my pantry, except that if ever we were locked in our house with no way to getting out whatsoever, I could easily survive with five other people for an entire month, with a couple more days added to it! Yes, my husband does comment on the size of my pantry, but hardly ever do I see him complain when I dish out a perfect meal, like this Coconut Fish Curry, after he refuses to head to the grocery store in the midst of a huge snowstorm!
Truly, my pantry serves me well. I always make sure I have enough rice, flour, and a few different kinds of pasta to serve me when I call for them. I also like to stock on various sauces, lentils and beans. And it's in times like these where I can happily fall back on my tried and tested stack of recipes. Most of them can be made within a few minutes with ingredients coming entirely from pantry staples, while a few may need a little help from something fresh or frozen.
Speaking of frozen, I like to have a pack or two of some of my favourite seafood always on hand, and fish is definitely one of them. I like buying them pre-cleaned and pre-cut, which then only requires them to be defrosted and cooked to my liking. Take for example this Coconut Fish Curry.
Now, what could be better than a one-pot meal left to simmer by itself while you tend to a few emails?
Quick & Easy Coconut Fish Curry
- 2 tablespoon light cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 cups coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 bones fish fillets (any white fish) cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes cut into wedges
- a handful of finely chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté garlic and onions till lightly browned and tender. Add in spices, and fry for a few seconds.
- Add in the coconut milk, season with salt and pepper, and let it come to a slight boil.
- Add in the the pieces of fish and tomatoes, and let it simmer for another 6-7 minutes till the fish is completely cooked through.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with a side of plain rice and a tossed salad.
This post was originally published in February 2007 and has been recently updated.
Tried this recipe? Leave a Comment and let me know, also Rate it by clicking the number of stars on the recipe card. Want to share your version with me? Tag me on Instagram @hookedonheat