These Turkey Tikka Skewers, very similar to the classic restaurant favourite Chicken Tikka Skewers, are very easy to put together and are packed with flavour. They’re great as an appetizer or a side along with some rice and/or Naan, and just perfect for BBQ season.
This post was sponsored by Ontario Turkey but all opinions are my own. I only write about and recommend products I use and love myself.
I love making these Tikka Skewers whenever I have guests over. Because they’re so simple and quick to prep, it hardly takes me much time to make a big batch. Tender pieces of boneless meat are marinated in a blend of plain yogurt and spices, and grilled on skewers with fresh veggies like onions and peppers.
During warmer months, I love making these on the grill – making sure to char them a bit along the edges for that wonderful smoky effect and flavour. At times when I don’t want to fire up my grill, these work perfect in the oven or on an open grill pan on the stove top.
I prefer letting the meat marinate for a few hours, or even overnight in the fridge, to make sure that they get really tender and full of flavour. However, if you’re in a pinch for time, then letting the meat sit in the marinate for 20-30 minutes will do too.
Although Chicken Tikka Skewers are usually what’s served at many Indian restaurants, I’ve opted to use turkey for my recipe today. Ontario Turkey can replace many kinds of meat in your favourite recipes and make them leaner and lighter. They are a complete protein full of essential minerals, high in vitamins and naturally low in sodium. Turkey is an excellent source of vitamin B12, a water-soluble vitamin needed for normal nerve cell activity in your body. For more nutrition info, please visit OntarioTurkey.ca.
This Turkey Tikka Skewer recipe, like regular Chicken Tikka Skewers, is also very versatile. You can use the leftovers as a filling for sandwiches or wraps, as a topping for pizza, and even in salads.
Turkey Tikka Skewers
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 3 tbsp light cooking oil
- 2 tbsp tandoori masala
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp amchoor powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- salt to taste
- 500 gms boneless turkey breast
- 1 medium-sized onion cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 green bell pepper cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper cut into 1-inch pieces
- lemon wedges for garnish
- In a large bowl, mix the yogurt, oil, spices and salt to form a smooth marinade.
- Add the meat and veggie pieces into the bowl and give it a gentle mix. Let this marinade for 15-30 minutes, or longer for 1-2 hours if possible. For best results, let the meat marinate in the fridge overnight for 6-8 hours.
- When you're ready to cook, heat a grill pan on medium-high heat. Gently skewer the meat alternating with the peppers and onions, and grill until lightly brown and cooked on all sides.
- Alternately, you can also grill them on the BBQ or bake in a oven for 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees till the meat is completely cooked through.
- Garnish with fresh lemon wedges and serve immediately with some Green Chutney on the side.
Tried this recipe? Leave a Comment and let me know, also Rate it by clicking the number of stars on the recipe card. Want to share your version with me? Tag me on Instagram @hookedonheat