As I was working on these Chicken Stuffed Crescent Rolls also known as Chicken Croissants, it suddenly occurred to me that this quick and easy recipe would be perfect for a kids lunchbox.
When given an option, I always like to volunteer to bring an appetizer for any party or get-togethers. It is the perfect chance to get creative and think out of the box. Bite-sized finger foods are usually my preferred way to enjoy a meal and I love experimenting with different flavours and textures. I was short of time and needed to come up with something quick and easy. One long stare at the contents of my fridge and I knew just what I was ready to get to work on.
I had half a rotisserie chicken from the previous night to work with. Armed with a can of store-bought crescent roll dough and some veggies and spices, these Chicken Stuffed Crescent Rolls came together in a breeze. It's delicious fresh out of the oven or eaten at room temperature. I suggest taking this idea and running with it! Experiment with the filling. Change it up to what you and your family enjoy eating. It works great any which way.
With September right around the corner and schools all set to open up their doors to eager parents and kids after a long summer, back to school sales and lunchbox recipes are hard to look past. My little guy is all excited to begin a new phase in life and can't stop talking about going to a big kids school!
Aside from picking out a new school bag, lunch box, clothes and shoes imprinted with his current favourite cartoon character, I've been keeping myself busy working on lunchbox recipes for him. Baby Dear has never been a fussy eater and cooking for him is always a pleasure. If the food is tasty, he'll relish it - just like he did with these Chicken Crescent Rolls. If it has chicken, he'll dive right in. And if it has tons of garlic, then in his own esteemed words - its a party in his tummy!
Chicken Stuffed Crescent Rolls (Chicken Croissants)
- 1 tablespoon light cooking oil
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala
- 2 cups shredded pre-cooked chicken
- 1 cup thinly sliced green bell pepper
- salt & pepper to taste
- a handful of finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Sauté onions and garlic in hot oil till they start to soften. Add in spices and fry for a few seconds till fragrant.
- Add in shredded chicken and sliced peppers and stir-fry for a few minutes to bring the flavours together. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with coriander leaves and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Separate croissant triangles as directed. For each triangle, roll out dough to expand a little in size, while keeping the same triangular shape.
- Fill each triangle with a heaped spoonful of the cooled chicken filling on the flat end, and roll the triangle as directed by the instructions to form a croissant shape.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes till lightly browned and done.
This post was originally published in August 2014 and has been recently updated.
Tried this recipe? Leave a Comment and let me know, also Rate it by clicking the number of stars on the recipe card. Want to share your version with me? Tag me on Instagram @hookedonheat