Written by Meena Agarwal on May 29th, 2006 |
As a kid, I loved sleeping in. Obviously, with school on weekdays, it was hard to keep my eyes shut with Mom screaming from the kitchen for me to get dressed. But not weekends. Aah… weekends were when I could get as much shut eye as I wanted - or rather, as much as my parents allowed me!
As I grew up, my sleeping habits only worsened. I am now able to wake up with the first beep of the alarm. Sigh, there was a time when my Dad had to scan the markets to find an alarm loud enough to break my sweet slumber. Alas, even then Mom would come running to my room to shut it off before the neighbours heard the deafening shrill. But me, I did not even twitch a muscle. I truly believed that had I been Sleeping Beauty, the fairy tale would’ve ended very differently!
Since I work not too far from where Hubby does, I get a free ride with him every morning. Lucky me, he too hates waking up at the first ring of the alarm. So while we get an extra 10-15 minutes of shut eye every morning, we miss out on the time to have a sit-down breakfast. but I couldn’t have it any other way - not at the cost of my sleep!!
So we make-do by having our breakfasts in the car. Now that surely limits our options. Most days its the usual toast with butter/jam and coffee. So at times, I try to spruce things up a little. Try this out, the wholesomeness of the bananas and sweetness of the strawberries, makes this a perfect on-the-go breakfast!
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 3/4 cups sugar 2 ripe bananas 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Mix in flour, baking powder, baking soda and sugar with butter. Mash the bananas to a smooth pulp and mix in flour mixture to form a smooth batter.
- Beat in egg and vanilla extract and blend well till all ingredients are incorporated.
- Mix in almonds and chopped straberries, and fill greased muffin trays three-fourths full.
- Preheat oven to 375 degree, and bake for 20-25 minutes, till muffins are done and brown on top.
Enjoy warm fresh from the oven with a cup of delicious brewed coffee!