Written by Meena Agarwal on May 11th, 2006 |
It’s mid-week. Which just means that energy levels of us regular 9-5 folk are slowly dying out. It’s also raining heavily out side, which means that a warm comfort meal ranks high on the wish-list! The simple solution - a one pot meal warming enough to drive away those heebee-jeebees…
One pot meals are a great way on saving time when it’s called for. Sometimes all you want and need to do is put everything but the kitchen sink into one big pot and hope that it forms into something delectable. One pot meals are also a great way fo rme to clean up my fridge of leftovers. Many a times, I’ve added any vegetable within arms reach into a thick hearty stew.
But not today. I wasn’t in the mood for soup or stew. True, it’s droopy and cold out, but that just makes me crave for a huge helping of warm flavoured rice. A can of mixed beans, some left-over rice and a bag of cherry tomatoes struck a cord in my head. And then… everything was good again!
Mixed Bean Tomato Rice
2 cups cooked white Basmati rice 1 can of mixed beans (kidney beans, chick peas, lima beans, and anything else you like) 1 medium onion sliced thinly 8-10 chery tomatoes, sliced in half or 1 whole tomato, chopped 2-3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped 1-2 green chillies, finely chopped
- salt, to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- a couple of dried curry leaves
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Heat oil in a large pot and add curry leaves and mustard seeds. Once they start to sizzle, add garlic, green chillies and sliced onions.Saute till lightly browned.
- Add tomatoes and cook for a few minutes till they begin to pulp. Add salt, turmeric and chili powder and allow spices to blend well.
- Add mixed beans and let cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Mix in cooked rice and stir-fry till each grain is well coated with all the spices. Add chopped coriander leaves and serve warm.
Enjoy with a side of Mango Pickle and cool Cucumber Raita.