Written by Meena Agarwal on December 19th, 2005 |
After a long tiring week and an eventful chore-full Saturday, me and hubby dear just love to chill out at the cozy comforts of our home. Most of the time, we like to cook together, just to get that little extra “us” time. We’ve cooked together tons of times, with me ordering him on what and how to chop, and the poor thing crying over his onions!
Yesterday was one such lovely day. After four crazy hours of christmas shopping, we went home and decided to make our most favourite meal. An hour later, we were comfortably settled in front of the TV, watching a funny movie and relishing a wonderfully fabulous team-work dinner!
Matar Paneer (Cottage Cheese with Green Peas)
- 400 gms of Paneer (cottage cheese), cut into 1-inch cubes and fried till lightly brown on all sides
- 2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2-3 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 cups of water
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped for garnish
- Add cumin seeds to warm oil and let it begin to sizzle. Add in onions and fry till they turn slightly brown.
- Add green chillies and tomatoes and cook till all the juices dry up and it forms a thick consistency.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, tomato paste, red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric and salt and cook till fragrant and all spices blend in nicely.
- Add water and let it come to a boil. Throw in paneer pieces and peas, and cover cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle garam masala and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Serve warm with rotis or naan.