Written by Meena Agarwal on December 13th, 2005 |
I have always preferred rice over rotis, and always tend to make a little extra just so I have leftovers for the next day. I like it when I take a peek into my fridge and find a box of leftover plain rice. It drives my imagination wild, since there is so much you can create out of plain boiled rice.
I have tried so many rice dishes over time but fried rice has always been a favourite. There is so much you can do to alter the taste and so many ways you can use to make a big bowl of fried rice. I often use whatever veggies or meats i have at hand, throw in a variety of flavours, and I have a great wholesome meal ready to be served.
This is another easy breezy recipe that hardly takes anytime at all and can be put together in minutes. I can’t even remember how many times I’ve cooked this up at the end of a long tiring day. And it never fails to please me!
Vegetable Fried Rice
- 2 cups cooked plain rice
- 1 cup mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, beans, celery, cabbage…go wild! Frozen
- vegetables would also be a great option)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 chicken buillion cube (substitute with vegetable buillion cube for a vegetarian version)
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp crushed black pepper
- salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- chopped spring onion for garnish
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and fry onions till transparent. Add vegetables, bullion cube, salt, pepper and chili powder and fry till all the water from the vegetables evaporate.
- Add rice and mix well. Splash soya sauce and stir-fry rice till everything is mixed well.
- Garnish with spring onions and serve warm.
A great side to spicy Pepper Chicken!